Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Something I'll never understand

In an e-mail:
Hi, my name is Michelle and I'm an associate editor with XYZ Magazine. I'm working on a story about farmers and diabetes and I'd like to talk to you about your research and the work you do with farmers and diabetes. Please let me know a convenient time for me to call you for a phone interview.

In a reply:
Hi, Michelle. I'd love to talk to you. Here's my number. Call me on Monday at 8:30 a.m.

On Monday:
Long, detailed interview about farmers and diabetes ensues.

Associate editor to source:
You've answered all my questions. Is there anything else we should talk about?

Source:
No, we've covered it all.

Associate editor:
Great. Would you spell your name, please?

Source:
Oh, God! You're going to quote me?

Associate editor's brain:
Well, duh! There must be something inherent in some people's brains that totally misses the part where a reporter calls an expert in a field for information about a story she's working on, and it doesn't even cross the expert's mind that he/she will be quoted in the story!

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Funny. I always ask them to spell their names first, so they know they're being quoted. Did the source relent, or did you have to scrap the whole interview or use it on background?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Michko said...

She allowed me to use the information as long as she could see the story first, which I was planning to do anyway. I guess I'm just of the persuasion that when a reporter calls you that you ought to assume you'll be quoted unless otherwise stated. Maybe I'm being too hard on my sources, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home