Friday, April 28, 2006

Truckin’

I’m on an exercise streak of sorts. Ok, so it’s only been two days, but it’s two days of waking up at 5 a.m. to do this. I’ve always said that if I don’t exercise first thing in the morning, it won’t happen. Well, after the baby was born I just couldn’t get up early enough to do it. A week or so ago I walked two days in a row in the evening. Just didn’t do it for me the way my morning walks have. Sort of sets the tone for the day instead of erasing what I did all day.

The good thing is that now I’m itching for it. I had to force myself out of bed this morning, but once I was up and walking it felt so good. It’ll be hard to work it in this weekend (my husband works this weekend and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna get up early just for a walk on a Saturday), but I’m determined to walk at least one day this weekend, if not both. I used to allow myself to skip one day a week, but I think if I skip a day so soon into this that it’ll be easier for me to not be consistent.

I love the effects of my walks. In addition to some me-time (so what if I have to get up at 5 a.m. to have alone time, right?!) I’m moving faster, I’m more focused, I feel better all around. And my blood sugar rocks to boot! Yesterday, my fasting was 100, went to 92 after my walk and I was 105 two hours post. I actually went low yesterday right before lunch. I was 66. Hadn’t been that low in quite a while. (Lowest I’ve ever recorded is 57. Didn’t even have symptoms until I checked, but that’s a post for another day.)

Today’s numbers: 114 fasting (had Sonic for dinner), 86 after my walk and 78 two hours post (woo hoo!). I had a snack at the two hour mark to avoid a low and another snack about an hour and a half after that (hungry!). Two snacks, but neither was chocolate. Go me!

I’m really pushing myself hard, too. Not letting me ease into this at all. Read: no shortcuts on the route, no walking slow. I’m so spent when I get home, but feeling the effects of a good stretch afterwards and seeing such good numbers AND finally feeling like I have some discipline and self control just make it all worth it.

I sort of on purpose started in the middle of the week. I didn’t want to have to muddle through five days of getting up early and then hating myself for skipping a day. This way, I’ve done it twice, and feel great and want to continue over the weekend. All good makeup for keeping it up Monday morning.

Won’t be long and I’ll be able to ease off on some of this insulin, I suspect. Right now, I’m at 15 units of Lantus. Which isn’t much, but it is considering I was taking 20 units when I was pregnant. I’ve always had a little guilt about that, although I’ve read some other folks saying that breastfeeding actually increased their insulin resistance. I hope I’m in that camp.

Wow, this is a pretty boring post, but just wanted to share my walking streak with the D world. Could use some virtual cheerleaders to keep me going…!

2 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Good for you! Those numbers are nice, too.

Once I'm done with this ridiculous commute I have, I'm going to start walking in the morning, before my husband goes to work.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

As an online cheerleader, I offer the following:

GOOD JOB! KEEP IT UP!

GIMMEE AN "M!" "I" "C" "H" "K" "O"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home