Friday, August 18, 2006

Random Friday Things

Random thing number one: I’m having minor, out-patient surgery on my hand next Thursday. This might sound totally bizaare, but I’m actually looking forward to it. OK, so I’m not literally looking forward to surgery, but I am looking forward to being rid of this ganglion cyst that’s on my thumb. I discovered it a few months ago. I don’t even remember when or how. My nurse practitioner made the diagnosis and said that if it’s not getting bigger and doesn’t bother me that I don’t have to do anything about it. So that’s what I resigned myself to—not doing anything about it. I mean, really, who looks forward to surgery? Maybe just the dentist from Little Shop of Horrors. Well, now this cyst is constantly in the way. Typically it’s when I grip something, such as a jar or a can, or when I’m driving that it bothers me. It’s not painful, but it’s definitely noticeable and definitely uncomfortable. I really tried to ignore it, but I can’t seem to. Seems weird to me to make a fuss over such a small thing, and, honestly, after I scheduled the surgery I started having second thoughts mainly because I felt like it was such a small thing and I shouldn’t make such a big deal out of it. But then, I remembered how much it bothers me and decided to just get rid of it. Funny side note: I won’t be able to get it wet for a few days because I’ll have stitches, so I told The Mr. this morning that we’ll have to shower together. Teeheehee.

Post-script number one to random thing number one: Trying ever so diligently to keep my blood sugar in optimal working order in preparation for said surgery. Which, by the way, likely won’t be until late morning. Preparing also for wacky blood sugar and severe hunger next Thursday. I want a king-size serving of a chocolate-icing-covered fudgy brownie so bad right now. *sigh*

Post-script number two to random thing number one: Day of surgery is also No. 2’s first day of preschool. I will miss picking her up, but will get to drop her off. Considered postponing the surgery for a week, but then we’re messing with magazine deadlines and that’s an ugly thing to mess with.

Post-script number three to random thing number one: Local anesthesia will likely affect breastmilk. Asking pediatrician today (here’s to hoping I don’t forget) if I need to pump and dump or if the local won’t really affect the milk. Buying formula for the first time in about seven months.

Random thing number two: Jealousy is an evil, evil beast. I have found lately that I’m not as included as I suppose I would like on certain things that go on at work. I’m nosey by nature and I know that I’m not being excluded on purpose necessarily. I guess I’m just disappointed that I’m not as chummy as some others are. On the flip side, though, a former employer once made my life a living hell and I swore that I would never again get involved with office gossip nor office politics. So I suppose not being included is exactly what I get for not wanting to be involved. Still hurts.

Random thing number three: I am just barely under two hours post lunch (around an hour and 45 minutes). I tested slightly early because I’m taking No. 3 to the doctor to have her ears checked out. I was 52. 52! That’s the lowest I’ve ever tested. I am starting to think that I’m developing a slight case of hypo unawareness. I even asked my friendly Diabetic Mommies this week because I tested once at 57 and didn’t even feel low. I mean, I felt like I was getting low, but not like I was already low. So how do I feel right now at 52, you ask? Perfectly normal, thank you. No shakes. None of my normal tell-tale low symptoms. (I just scarfed down a granola bar, in case you’re wondering.) I do have a weird sun spot, though. Sort of like what I have when I’m getting a migraine. Wondering if there’s such a thing as a false low. I mean, I know the meter can misread a high based on not washing hands or something of that nature. I was 98 post breakfast and had a decent snack. Had basically no carbs for lunch, though: pork chop and a big salad. This is what I get for trying to stay in optimal control for Thursday’s surgery.

Post script to random thing number three: The low hit me in the car on the way to the doctor. That’s when I figured it would. *sigh* The baby has an ear infection. Hopefully, this will fix her sleeping problem. Also, the pediatrician said I won’t have to dump the milk, but to double check with the anesthesiologist.

Random thing number four: I thought I had more random things. hmph.

1 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Good luck with the surgery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home