Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Woe is (mini) me

The countdown to vacation now stands at five days and I'm beside myself with excitement! Having done this last year with three kids and an airplane, I know a little more about what to bring and how to pack. Not like I've never traveled before, but if you've ever tried to get through airport security with a stroller, three kids and all that is necessary to keep those kids busy in a tiny airplane seat for three hours, then you know where I'm coming from.

So, with all the talk about the incredibly cute One Touch Ultra Mini, I thought I'd pick one up for the trip. Minimizing is great on these trips. I looked online and found that I could get one for about $20, which is like my favorite price ev-ah. Being as impatient as I am, I went to my local WalMart to grab one instead of waiting for one to be delivered.

When I got to the aisle with glucose tabs, alcohol swabs and Diatussin cough syrup, I found the Ultra Mini, and at only $18!! What a deal, I thought. I dug and dug through the dust-covered boxes, but (gasp!) no green! No pink! Just incredibly boring grey. Bbbb--bbb---but that's the whole point! I don't want one if I can't have one with some spice. Well, shit, I thought. Sigh. I resigned myself to lugging my enormous Ultra Smart in my purse.

On another trip-preparing jaunt to Walgreens for travel-size toiletries, I again found myself roaming the diabetes-supply area. This time, though, I had my sights set on a new ID bracelet since I lost my last one. My eyes were diverted to the sale sign: $14 for the Ultra Mini! Holy Crap, I thought. Always psyched by a bargain, I thought it was a good thing I didn't get the one at WalMart because I would have surely kicked myself over those $4. But, well, I should have known...no pink. no green. Is there no justice in my impatient world?!

4 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

I got mine for $18 at Target, just a plain grey one.
Two gripes -
Why the heck can't they include just a small bottle of test strips, for cryin' out loud!!!! Like a little bottle of just 5 or 10?
Also, the mini is definitely made for left-handers. I have to flip it to load it from the right side, then flip it again to read the numbers.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

PS - Will be on watch for your article............

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

That sounds like pure torture! GREAT price, but no choice colors...

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Oooh, I'll have to scope out the Walgreen's near me. CVS wanted too much for them. O wants one, badly and Lifescan is giving them away (if you have a 1 year or older lifescan meter) but they wouldn't let me pick the colour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home