Monday, May 14, 2007

Let's make a deal

Pretty much since my first appointment with my endo, Dr. C, he’s been telling me that he wants me to start on Byetta, which is great since I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I went back to Dr. C about three months or so after the first time, had another A1C drawn (it was much worse than the first one, which was 5.9; the second was 7.3 I think), talked about meds, decided to start me on Metformin and talked about how long I would be nursing.

I really don’t know, I kept telling him. I never anticipated nursing more than a year, but No. 3 and I were really into it so I let her call the shots.

The third time I saw Dr. C he basically said there’s nothing we can do until you stop nursing. I had another A1C drawn (6.something this time, so the Metformin was definitely helping) and set up an appointment for May 1. At that time, May was a long way away and I really thought we would have been finished nursing. But in the middle of April, while I was already contemplating weaning No. 3, she showed no signs of stopping.

I called Dr. C’s office to reschedule the appointment. July 31 it was, and if things changed then I’d call back, I discussed with the receptionist. Three months seemed like an appropriate time.

So here we are barely two weeks into May and No. 3 has weaned herself. It’s bittersweet. It was really time to wean and I’m glad to have my body all to myself again and to have some freedoms I didn’t have while nursing, but I’m still sad that that part of our lives is over.

So now I’m wondering if I should keep my July appointment and try to get things a little more in order before facing the blood draw, or if I should just bite the bullet and try to get in to see Dr. C sooner. Part of me says to do it sooner so I can see what the walking has done, what the periodic Novolog use has done, and what the periodic handful of M&Ms is doing. Part of me says wait until you’re more compliant, but then I realize that that might not *ever* happen.

And then I think about what Byetta will do for me. Part of the benefit of the drug is that it’s an appetite suppressant. That’s actually a pretty good deal for me since I tend to eat all the flippin’ time—even when I’m not hungry.

So, dear readers, what would you do? Prior to writing this post I was leaning toward keeping my July appointment. Now, I’m leaning toward calling Dr. C’s office this afternoon to reschedule.


At 7:49 PM, Blogger Rachel... said...

I would definitely try to reschedule for earlier.

At 8:12 PM, Blogger MileMasterSarah said...

Don't wait, just get on the phone and take the next step :)

Good luck!

At 8:53 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

July seems so far away - can't hurt to call and see what's available.


Post a Comment

<< Home