Thursday, June 14, 2007

How many licks does it take?

Although I didn’t update you all from my post about whether or not to move up my next endo appointment seeing as No. 3 weaned herself, I was able to get the appointment moved from the end of July to the end of June. So, I’ll be starting Byetta likely on or around June 25.

I’m looking forward to it, actually. I was a little hard on myself for a while about needing this crutch, but now I’ve realized that I really do need the crutch and if I can have something that’s going to make me stop eating so much (one of the side effects of Byetta, apparently, is a decreased appetite) then it will be easier to get myself to actually stop eating so much crap.

So, I was curious about my other meds and asked my friendly Diabetic Mommies who take Byetta what other meds they take. I was surprised that the Byetta takers hadn’t gotten off the other medicines they took prior to Byetta. So I querried my endo by email (I love that he’s available for quick questions this way!) and asked if I’d be able to/have to ditch the Lantus, Metformin and Novolog. No, he said, we should keep me on all of those, although likely at a decreased rate, especially for the Lantus.

Whah…huh…um…excuse me. I know it’s not a cure and I know it’s not a miracle drug and I’m happy to be able to take it, but I feel like screaming OhComeOn! How many drugs do I have to take to manage this stinkin disease? I’m not really frustrated with the medicines. Really, I’m not. I think I’m frustrated with the whole situation…that I have to take four drugs for the same disease to make things work right. I have to keep reminding myself that it could be worse…this could be completely unmanageble and I could be at the mercy of my body with no recourse.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

As you say, it could be worse - but that does not make it any less frustrating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home